INNOVATIVE FLOATING OFFSHORE WIND ENERGY
Proving cost effective technology for floating substructures for 10MW wind turbines at water depths greater than 50 m
There is a need for new innovative substructure concepts, including floating platforms, to reduce production, installation and O&M costs for water depths of more than 50m.
• Optimize and qualify to a Technology Readiness Level – TRL of 5, two innovative substructure designs for 10MW turbines
• Develop a streamlined and KPI (key performance indicator) based methodology for the evaluation and qualification process of floating substructures
– Floating wind turbines installed in water depths from 50m to 200m
– Offshore wind farms of large wind turbines (10MW) – identified to be the most effective way of reducing cost of energy in short term
- Substructure design for very large floating offshore wind turbines (10MW)
- Methodologies for design evaluation, including LCOE (Levelized Cost of Energy)
To realize these goals, we need:
- Multi-fidelity numerical tools in the context of qualifying and optimizing large substructures
- Experimental techniques specific to floating offshore wind turbines
- Concept industrialization, as an early focus in the design
- Uncertainty and risk assessment related to unprecedented large wind turbine substructures
– Mature floating substructure design synchronized with the expected time-to-market of 10MW offshore wind turbine technology
– Increased scientific and industrial knowledge on numerical and experimental design methodologies and procedures, also enabling more streamlined, KPI based developments
– Ultimately, a considerable LCOE reduction for large floating offshore wind farms
Phase 1 of the Lifes50+ project was completed during the evaluation workshop in Barcelona from 8-10 March 2017. The Phase 1 qualification (MS#4) presented the outcomes from the evaluation of the four innovative floating substructure concept designs.
A key objective of the LIFES50+ project is to optimize and qualify to a Technology Readiness Level (TRL) 5, two innovative floating substructure designs for 10MW turbines.
Mobile: +47 957 70 133
Jan Arthur Norbeck
Mobile: +47 951 10 424
Petter Andreas Berthelsen
Mobile: +47 952 22 139